Friday, October 2, 2009

Letters from future students

Dear Miss Landon,
I wanted to write to you to tell you how much I enjoyed you as a math teacher, you were my favourite teacher throughout highschool!  Your classroom inspired me so much I have gone on to become a mathematician and I have been nominated for the nobel prize!
I really felt that you were so well organized that I could easily follow all of your lessons and this organization kept me in check.  I always knew when a test or quiz was, or what we had for homework.  I think this showed me that being organized is key for a future outside of school.
I appreciated that you were very approachable as well.  I never felt that I was going to be punished for giving a wrong answer, or that I couldn't come to you for help.  This has been so important for my career!  As a superior mathematician I can take risks and be creative, it doesn't matter if I don't end up with the right solution, I just go back and try again.
The thing that placed you apart from my other teachers was how you taught your lessons.  You didn't just sit at the front of the class and write down notes and algorithms and expect us to copy them down and do homework.  We were able to ask questions, talk to our neighbors about problems you gave us and even try learning things on our own.  
I especially liked the weekly problems you posted on the board.  I loved to go home and work through them on the weekends, no wonder I'm such a great mathematician! Those math books that you kept in the classroom were so interesting as well, no one else did that!  The time you read flatland to us was so much fun, it made the class go by so fast!
Well, I just thought I'd let you know how much of a difference you made in my life.  I promise to include you in my speech when I accept my award!

Sincerely
Peye Thagorus

Dear Miss Landon,
I needed to tell you that I hate math and that you were the worst math teacher I ever had!  You made tests too hard and all your lessons were so fluffy.  Why did we have to work with other students so much?  I just wanted to do the lesson and work on my homework so I could go home.  Your lack of notes caused me to fail tests and now I am in a prison trying to calculate how many more years I have to be here.  This is all your fault!  I hope you learn to teach math better someday.
signed
Jr. i

Hopes and worries.
I really hope that I will become a teacher like the one in my first letter.  I hope that I will be well organized and be able to create a balance between relational and instrumental understanding in my teaching.
I am worried that I won't be able  to create new ways to teach math other than just giving notes for students, or that I will fall into one category of teaching and not be able to combine methods.  I am also worried that I won't give good enough notes for my students to succeed in their studies.



No comments:

Post a Comment