Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Kinemalgebratics microteaching reflection

I was very pleased with how our microteaching lesson played out this afternoon.  I think it was fabulous on Mike's part to think of linking physics and math together to create such an interactive lesson.  I was actually quite surprised how willing and enthusiastic everyone was to participate in the lab section of our lesson, which shows that at any age the opportunity to move around and do something active in the classroom is a definite bonus.  

I thought that the structure of our lesson was quite clear as well as the verbal and visual communication by all the group members.  I think we could have made our mathematical ideas a bit more clear, in the sense that it may have been a bit difficult to understand right off that we were learning algebra.  I wasn't able to see Mike teach his part of the lesson so I may be slightly off by saying that.  

I felt that our group did an excellent job in connecting the lesson to other areas of life.  We did not really connect our activities to other areas of math, but we were quite focused on algebra for the time that we did have.

One aspect I feel that we could improve on was managing our time a bit better so that we could connect our two activities better at the end.  Erwin did a great job with the time he was given, but we could have left him more time to better connect our lessons and derive the velocity from out distance and time calculations.

Looking at the reviews other groups gave us, many peers really found the activities fun and engaging.  They liked how we took a real life example and applied it to this math concept.  
Some people found our topic unclear at the beginning, possibly by wacky title created so next time making that more clear may help our lesson go more smooth. 
There was also a comment that suggested we spend more time relating our two activities at the end.  This was a time management issue, and hopefully if this activity was done with more time we would be able to achieve this.

Overall I was pleased with how this activity went.  I found some of the other lessons done interesting, in particular the estimation activity.  This group created a lesson that I would definitely be interested in using for the future.  I especially liked their handouts and group work, as well as a nice introduction and well delivered lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment