Saturday, September 19, 2009

Reflection of Microteaching Lesson

For my Mircroteaching lesson I was lucky enough to have a large group of 8 people to teach how to throw a frisbee and to be able to take them outside to practice.  
I was pleased that my peers found my lesson engaging and fun.  Many felt that the analogies I used were helpful when learning the techniques of the throws I taught them and appreciated learning how to perform the throw as well as when it would be used in a game setting.  Some of my peers already knew how to throw a frisbee but mentioned they enjoyed the pointers I gave them for improving their skills as well the use of Elaine, who did a similar lesson and was already skilled, in some of my demonstrations.  One of my peers suggested that next time I mix up the partners, putting a person with strong skills with a person with weak skills.  I had not considered this option and would definitely use it next time!
I have previously taught this lesson in another class but creating a proper lesson plan made the lesson go so much better.  I found I was able to get my points across with some of my analogies and I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly my peers who did not have prior knowledge of all the throws were able to pick up the techniques.  I liked that I planned well enough so I had time to go around and visit all my groups to see how their practicing was going. I think my pace for the time we had was good and by making a conscious effort to be loud enough for a larger group I think everyone was able to hear what I was saying.  Next time I would make better use of the people who already had prior knowledge of the throws I was teaching.  Having them help others, or possibly do a demonstration themselves would be a great way to have them more involved and not get bored.  
I had a great time with my peers and enjoyed teaching my lesson and participating in my peers lessons as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment